Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gone Graphic



I can count on one hand the number of novels that I have enjoyed reading over the years, one hand! All my life I have despised reading.  My Dad would always tell me, you just have to find books that you like, so I've experimented. I've read non-fiction, fiction, romance, mystery, thriller, sci-fi, biographies, and just about any genre you can dream of and I still do not have any particular interest in them. What I didn't realize is, for me, the genre is less important than the actual type of book.  This year I've gone graphic (as in graphic novels).  When I say graphic novels I don't necessarily mean comic books, rather a good mix of the comic style with more story and less super hero. I can appreciate DC and Marvel comics/novels but they aren't my favorite.  Also, the anime scene isn't quite my style. First off, the anime books I've read, granted I've only read two, feel really heavy and intense. Secondly, call me a hard headed American if you'd like but I don't like when I have to read books in the opposite direction.  American story based graphic novels is what I want.

Just today, I spent three hours in the library with a friend reading.  In the past, if you would have ever told me that I would willingly go to the library to read for hours I would have called you insane, stupid, and possibly slightly retarded. However, today I would be excited.  I'm definitely going to be scheduling more library visits for my new hobby.  This is possibly the most nerdy thing that I could ever do but its totally chill with me. As I read good novels I'll post them on here for anyone interested in reading.

segment of "Local" by Brian Wood


way better than the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment